Thursday, June 12, 2008

Joella attends The Green Event Summit in San Fran

Hey everybody. Hope this finds you well! It's been a crazy week... PCMA and Green Event Summit for me and HSMAI for Karli and Gaby. It's just been hetic. The Green Event Summit has been great. All the sessions I attended today were up to par, except for one. But, I'll start at the beginning. Simply Mumtaz is here because we want to continue our education and always stay abreast of the newest in the Green Special Events & Meetings industry for our Eco-Chic services. So, I flew up last night (we purchased our carbon offset - http://www.terrapass.com/), took the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit?), and checked into the Palace Hotel on Montgomery Street. It only cost me a whopping $5.35 to get here. The cool thing is that you get a sticker to brag about or should I say help encourage others and raise awareness about purchasing offsets.



It's a very BIG place. I don't think I've even walked the whole property yet. They are running two whole conferences, the Green Summit has at least 400 people and the other looks like its about another for 400. And, we have some room to spare, but not much. Anyways, the main atrium is gorgeous. Take a look.




So, we started the day with a presentation about the LIVE Earth concerts. It was a truly an inspiring session... it's amazing how people can dream up a concept and actually bring it to fruition. Then, I attended another session regarding Green Marketing, very cool. But, the best thing I learned from that was the June 4th launch of PLANET GREEN a new channel on the Discovery Network. I can't wait to get home and check it out. Maybe we can pitch them to cover Green event planners! Anyways, we had lunch - probably one of the best chicken lunches I've had in awhile. Kudos to the kitchen! The best session of the day was "Green Venues"! It was presented from three perspectives, Planner, the EPA, and Venues. I took a lot of notes and will absolutely be recommending some of these activities to our clients and preferred venues /suppliers.


Then I found two really good products that I'm stoked about... 1) Cardboard Furniture... in particular chairs. I was really scared to sit on it because I'm not the smallest girl around, but it was really sturdy. I felt safe. Then, I felt cool. I'm in love. Gotta have these for the right client! I think there are a few vendors that offer them... but here is a photo. http://www.cardboarddesign.com/ and http://www.gogreendisplays.com/.



2) Then I bumped into another vendor that was very genuine... Scott McKye from BioTech Badge System. It's http://www.kleertech.com/. Green Name Badges / Lanyards and soon Ribbons.


Ok, ya'll I'm gonna sign off for today. It's been great and I gotta get out and walk around before it gets late. Gotta see the Golden Gate bridge while I'm here. Jumping back on the plane tomorrow night.

No comments: